From the downright bizarre to the beautiful
Although many might just think 1st of May is the start of a new month, this date actually marks one of the most significant events in the fashion industry. Of course, here, we’re referring to the renowned Met Gala. An evening where fashion designers, artists, models, musicians and actors make some jaw-dropping entrances onto the red carpet. The gala is held at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, and celebrates the revealing of the fashion institute’s blockbuster exhibition. Each year the Met Gala is centred around the theme of the latest exhibition, with previous events focusing on China: Through the Looking Glass, Punk: Chaos to Couture, and this year’s exhibition theme being Camp: Notes on Fashion. As you can imagine, the event produced some memorable and creative fashion statements, so let’s take a dive into the celeb outfits you really don’t want to miss out on seeing.
1.First up on our list is Cardi B, because it would be rude not to make her number 1 with this Thom Browne number. Cardi’s oxblood gown boasted over ten feet of tulle and silk and a whopping 3,000 burned and dyed feathers. Impressive and probably, pretty heavy.
2. Emily Ratajkowski graced the red carpet an ethereal vision, with wings to match. Wearing Dunda, she channelled a bold and brave interpretation of camp queen, Cher. We didn’t think Emily could get any more dreamy, but here we are, proven very wrong.
3. Next up on our list is Naomi Campbell, who sported a stunning violent Valentino gown and feather cape. Oh, and being the smart woman she is, brought the ultimate accessory- a human wind machine to ensure she didn’t get sweaty or hot on the red carpet. How much do you think it would rent one of these for the day?
4. Embracing the camp theme wholeheartedly is Harry Styles, who was also a co-host of the gala this year. Dressed head to toe in Gucci, Styles wore heels, a pearl earring, nail polish and sheer lace top.
5. Jared Leto brought a +1 to the Met Gala this year, and instead of bringing a breathing, living guest (because that would be too predictable, right?) he came along holding a model of his own head.
6. You didn’t think we could get through this entire list without dropping in a few of the Kardashian/Jenners did you? The Jenner sisters rocked up to the Gala in fluorescent feathered gowns, and together they make quite the camp pair. The sisters designed the dresses with Donatella Versace herself, with Kylie opting for a violet mermaid gown with matching wig, and Kendall looking like a fireball in vibrant orange.
7. Kim Kardashian certainly came through drippin’ to this year’s Met Gala. Looking like she’d come from a (very glamorous) swim in the ocean beforehand, we can’t seem to get over how snatched her waist is this nude Thierry Mugler dress. Kim could actually only half sit down in the gown because of the tight corset she was laced into underneath, but we think she looks absolutely incredible.
8. Argued as the best Met Gala entrance of all time, Lady Gaga turned her outfit, (or should we say outfits), into a truly immersive performance. To begin, Gaga walked 3 blocks to the Metropolitan Museum of Art in a Brandon Maxwell cape dress that had a 25-foot train. But once the star arrived at the venue, she unzipped the dress to reveal a figure-hugging black gown, which then concealed another pink number that was finally followed by a black crystal bra and knickers. Phew, we’re tired just thinking about it.